The graduate job market is extremely competitive. Some blue-chip companies report that they get hundreds of applications per vacancy. Regardless of whether you want to get onto a competitive graduate scheme at a large company or a smaller one, it is vital that you not only demonstrate your competencies for the role but that you can confidently articulate why you want the job.
Graduate recruiters are trained to assess motivation. They will be able to tell if you have not made an informed decision in applying for the job or if you have applied for the job for the wrong reasons. Therefore, it is important that you do not “panic apply” for jobs, but instead identify the jobs that are aligned to your specific skills, interests and ambitions. Once you’ve identified these roles, you will be in a better position to write your CV and cover letter and to prepare for your interview.
You can review each of the four stages by clicking through the tiles below
Initial Telephone Consultation
- We will get to know you and what you want to achieve
- We will then let you know if this course is right for you
- Fees for this course will be discussed
- You’ll receive instructions on how to get started if this course is right for you
Ready to get started? The first step towards discovering your career path is to call us. You’ll speak directly to our Founder and Graduate Coach, Chris Davies.
Chris will walk you through how the course works and will answer any questions you have before guiding you through the next steps.
You can book a call with Chris at a time that is convenient for you here or you are welcome to call us on +44 (0) 203 780 3441.
- Take the first of two skills audits. Skills Audit 1 is a generic one where you’ll be asked to demonstrate 6 key skills.
- Identify your career typology. All graduate roles can be categorised into three career typologies.
- Additional resources have been put together to complement the first two tasks.
Once you have signed up for this online course, you will gain exclusive access to the course microsite. The homepage of this site will give you an outline of what to expect throughout the course and what we will cover.
Then you will navigate to stage 1. In this stage, you will watch an explainer video hosted by Chris Davies. He will explain what a generic skills audit is and why they are important. The next step involves learning the 6 key skills that all graduate employers will look for in their candidates regardless of the role. When you are familiar with each of the key skills, we will guide you through conducting your very own generic skills audit. There will be plenty of examples to help you to do so. Once you have completed your generic skills audit to the best of your ability, send it back to us and we will provide feedback. Then we will move on to stage 2 of the course.
- Having already completed a generic skills audit for the 6 key skills that all employers look for in graduates, it’s now time to identify the additional skills and competencies you’ll need for the roles that are suited to you.
- Once you’ve completed your 2nd skills audit, you’ll be ready to craft your achievements-based CV. You’ll be able to use the examples from skills audit 2 to demonstrate specific competencies for the roles you’re applying for.
- We’ll provide resources, tips and advice to show you how to produce an effective CV and how to write cover letters, then we’ll ask you to have a go at creating these.
- We teach you how to optimise your social media profiles to come across as professional and increase your visibility to recruiters in your desired industry.
Not many students and graduates are aware of this, but graduate jobs can be categorised into three distinct groups. Once you understand the difference between these three groups and are able to identify which one you closely align with you will be able to easily refine your job search and identify the job titles that are aligned with your skills and interests. In this stage, we will help you to identify what career typology you are aligned with through a quiz, video content and resources. Once you have completed stage 1 and 2, you will be in a much better position to write an achievement-based CV and your cover letter.
After stage two, you’ll navigate to our resources page where we have included some video content that you will find useful and also some exclusive content on emotional intelligence and building self-confidence by Chris Davies, the founder of Graduate Coach.
- Over the phone, we will review your progress so far.
- Then we will introduce you to our course designed to help you to write a CV and cover letter and to optimise your LinkedIn profile.
Once you have completed the course, you will have a much clearer idea of the graduate job roles that are right for you.
The next steps are to write a tailored, achievement-based CV, a convincing cover letter and to optimise your LinkedIn profile.
We have also designed a blended learning course to help you to get ready to apply for the jobs that are right for you.
Discovering your career path
A 2 step programme which teaches you about yourself and the types of job that will suit you best and how to make successful applications.
85% of UK students struggle to figure out what types of graduate jobs will suit them best. So if you are unsure of what your next steps are going to be after graduating, you are not alone. Here at Graduate Coach, we have helped hundreds of students, graduates and career changers to get the job of their dreams! Contact us today if you would like us to help you to discover your career path!
You’ll gain access to our two-step programme outlined above. Once you complete and submit the activities, we will provide you with feedback. You will also get exclusive content on understanding and demonstrating emotional intelligence and gaining self-confidence.
Explore our services
Our professional coaches provide career advice and coaching for new graduates, helping you to achieve your full potential. We are experts in full career and 1-2-1 interview coaching, conducted face-to-face, via video calls or online.