5 Ways to use the trade press for a career headstart
Posted: February 11, 2016 at 4:08 pm | Author: Chris Davies
The trade press offers some surprisingly simple ways to give your career a headstart that you may have never considered before.
Whether you’re looking for your first graduate position, making that all important second step in your career or you’re an undergraduate wisely planning ahead, the trade press could help you succeed in more ways than one.
Trade press usually takes the form of professional magazines or journals designed to appeal specifically to those who work within a certain trade, field or industry. Whether you’re studying to be an architect, a doctor, an engineer, a manager or a graphic designer, there will be a journal out there aimed at your profession. There are journals that are relevant to all kinds of different career paths, from media and marketing to finance and accounting.
Finding the right trade press to give your career that headstart
A simple online search for magazines relevant to your chosen profession will give you several to choose from. Some of these may well be online magazines, therefore saving you the cost of purchasing several paper journals. Some libraries will stock some of the more popular titles so you may not have to purchase a copy at all.
Take time to scan the options and find magazines that are both appealing and applicable to what you want to do. You can be sure that in these publications you will find job opportunities that are relevant to your career aims – whether they are first-time jobs or jobs that will enable you to further your career and fulfil your ambitions.
So here are 5 ways in which the trade press can help you succeed:
1. By searching in professional magazines and journals that are applicable to what you are currently doing or want to do in the future, you will save time because this is where the most relevant jobs will be. Instead of scanning through many, many advertised jobs in newspapers, job-search sites and social media, you will be going straight to the relevant information.
2. By reading the trade press, you will also broaden your knowledge of your field. Even if you don’t find a relevant job here or if the jobs that are advertised are too advanced for your current skill level, you will be gaining valuable information and insights into your field, industry or trade.
3. By being up to date with what’s going on in your industry, you will be able to shine in your job interviews. You will be able to make reference to current events and the latest developments. In other words, you will be putting yourself ahead of the competition. And to your potential future employers, you will appear enthusiastic, well informed and truly interested.
4. Of course, if you are looking for your first position, many of the jobs advertised in the trade press may be too advanced for you. But by reading these journals, you will be better able to plan your career and the direction in which you want to go. You will become aware of posts and opportunities you had never considered before. This will enable you to plan your career step by step – where you should begin, what you should do next, and where you ultimately want to be.
5. Finally, trade press is an excellent means of finding useful contacts and information. Through reading widely and broadening your horizons, you will come across people, organisations and companies that inspire you. You may find companies that motivate you – companies you’d love to work for and companies that give you a clue as to who you need to contact.
Getting a top job is tough and you need lots of stamina and self-belief in order to succeed. Regularly reading the trade press could place you at an advantage in several ways and may even spark off a whole new line of thought to help you reach your goals.
Comments are closed.